Looking for somewhere to stay in South Somerset, Why not check out Ilminster ?, For more information look at Visit Ilminster
Ilminster, one of Somerset's many charming market towns, lies in the beautiful countryside of South Somerset half way between Yeovil and Taunton, close to the A303 and within easy reach of the M5.
The town gets its name from the near by River Ile and its beautiful 15th century Minster. The early town grew up around this church and its soaring perpendicular architecture and fan vaulting in both the tower and Wadham Chapel and the addition of engraved glass doors at the nave entrance, commissioned to celebrate the Millennium, make it well worth a visit. To the north of the Minster is Court Barton, a collection of attractive ham stone buildings which include the Chantry, Cross House and the old Grammar School founded in 1459. One of the first chapels to be built in the area, around 1719, can be found in East Street. Known as the Meeting House, it has been converted an exhibition gallery, with an information centre and cafe.
To read the rest of the story, please click here.
Christmas is coming !
Civic Service of Carols by Candlelight at The Minster
A warm welcome is extended to one and all. Come and along and celebrate with this service of Carols by Candlelight with the choir of Greenfylde School. The service is on Sunday 22 December and starts at 6.00pm.
After the service refreshments will be served in the Minster Rooms.
Christmas Postal Deadlines
- Wednesday 18 December 2nd Class and Royal Mail Signed For™
- Friday 20th December 1st Class and Royal Mail Signed For™
- Monday 23rd December Royal Mail Special Delivery Guaranteed™
Christmas Waste Collections
- Monday 23 December 2013 - No change, usual collections
- Tuesday 24 December 2013 - No change, usual collections
- Wednesday 25 December 2013 - Friday 27 December 2013
- Thursday 26 December 2013 - Saturday 28 December 2013
- Friday 27 December 2013 - Sunday 29 December 2013
- Monday 30 December 2013 - No change, usual collection
- Tuesday 31 December 2013 - No change, usual collection
- Wednesday 1 January 2014 - Thursday 2 January 2014
- Thursday 2 January 2014 - Friday 3 January 2014
- Friday 3 January 2014 - Saturday 4 January 2014
SSDC Opening Hours during Christmas
If you want to visit, the majority of offices* are open until 3pm on the 24th December and back to normal working hours on the 2nd January 2014. If you have an urgent call you can still ring us on 01935 462462 and you will be put through to our out of hours office.
|06/01/2014||NEROCHE DECORATIVE AND FINE ARTS SOCIETY- Isabella d'Este, First Lady of the Renaissance |
|10/01/2014||Friday Night Quiz Nights|
|16/01/2014||Alzheimer's Society-Singing for the Brain|
|17/01/2014||JAZZ - Mike Denham with Tom 'Spats' Langham|