Ilminster Fourm was set up to Develop a local Community Plan which would form a Strategy to take the community forward for the next twenty years and an Action Plan based on community consultation. The Action Plan would be a living document changing as and when actions/projects were delivered. If you would like to read the full Community plan a pdf version is available for download below.
The Forum recognised from the very beginning that it was not set up to, nor was it able to take forward all of the possible solutions to the issues raised by the public. As it said in the Community Plan Report, with regard to the action plan:
“The projects in ordinary print indicate those that could be developed by organisations other than local stakeholders, such as project C1 Develop light, high tech or small businesses. The projects in italic print indicate those that could be developed by local stakeholders such as A1 New Health Centre, which will be delivered through the Somerset Primary Care Trust in partnership with other statutory bodies and the Doctors’ practices in North Street and Wharf Lane. The projects in bold print such as C7 Local Business Directory indicate those that will be taken forward by the Ilminster Forum in partnership with other organisations.”
Forum projects start when and if the Forum has funding and volunteers.
Current Projects :
- a) Foot Paths
- This is an ongoing project which restores and creates new Foot Paths in and around Ilminster. Once a footpath is finished then a guided walk usually takes place and the team produce a Walks Leaflet for distribution in Tourist Centre.
- b) Heritage Trail
- This project is about producing a booklet guides visitors and residents around the centre of Ilminster highlighting historic building s along the way.
- c) Garden Project
- With the help of the Brownies and a team of Volunteers is working on bring the Library Garden back to its former glory.
- d) Web site
- This web site aims to provide information for the local community and for tourists. The website contains a range of useful information from School, Police, Business, Community Groups, Tourism, photos and so on.
- e) Swimming Survey
- The Community Plan identified the need/desire for a Public Swimming Pool in Ilminster. A survey was carried over an extensive area and that information is being analysed and a report will be produced in due course.
- f) Green Event
- In the current economic climate this event looks at ways of re-using items, of benefitting from recycling, of growing your own vegetables and so on. For more information look at the Going Green section of this website.
- g) Monthly Market
- A new working group that is planning on launch a Monthly Community Produce Market on the 1st Saturday of the Month in the Market House
To view the current community plans, please click the plan you wish to view.